- This event has passed.
Ground Breaking Ceremony for OCC’s New Facility in Royal Oak
November 16, 2022 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
OCC breaks ground on the construction of its 78,000 square foot addition that will house the College’s award-winning Culinary Studies Institute on its Royal Oak campus. The new facility is scheduled to open September 2025 in its new urban location, known for its hospitality, cuisine and vibrant culture.
WHAT: Ground Breaking Ceremony for OCC’s New Culinary Studies Institute Facility
WHEN: Wed. Nov. 16, 2022, 2 p.m.
WHERE: OCC’s Royal Oak Campus-Main Lobby
739 S. Washington Ave. Royal Oak, MI 48067
The estimated $74 million three-story addition will feature three classrooms, two demonstration kitchens and five teaching kitchens providing students with a bold and visionary culinary learning facility in Southeast Michigan.
- 2,600 square-foot, third floor restaurant with 360-degree views of downtown Royal Oak, sloping ceiling and large glass windows. The new restaurant will offer a new teaching and community dining option in the heart of Royal Oak, where culinary students will prepare and serve fine-dining recipes as part of their training.
- Integration of instructional technology for flexibility in teaching and learning, remote access to diverse kitchens around the world, and space for academic conferences and national culinary competitions.
- Sustainable design for adaptability and future use to stay current with culinary trends.
- Flexible first floor design for pop-up culinary retail and café’ service.
Onsite media interviews available after the brief ceremony with college representatives, local officials, and building and design partners including:
- Peter Provenzano, Jr., Chancellor, Oakland Community College (OCC)
- Pam Jackson, Chair, Board of Trustee, OCC
- Chefs Julie Selonke and Doug Gahns, Instructors, OCC Culinary Studies Institute
- Melanie Macey, Mayor Pro Tem, City of Royal Oak
- Chris Vogelheim, Principal, Harley Ellis Devereaux
- Mike Stobak, Vice President, Barton Malow
RSVP/CONTACT: Kim Madeleine, OCC Marketing & Communications
734.765.6321 | firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT OCC: Offering nearly 100 degrees and certificates, OCC is one of Michigan’s largest community colleges and top transfer institutions in the state. OCC provides academic, career training and enriching experiences, designed to empower students to reach their potential and enhance our community. Learn more at oaklandcc.edu.