Southeast Michigan Unemployment Rate Declines WIN reports employment gains for region in Q1 2014
Lisa Katz, Executive Director of WIN, (Workplace Intelligence Network) offers the following information to the Fox 2 Job Shop.
DETROIT, Mich. – The unemployment rate in Southeast Michigan fell to 8.5 percent in Q1 2014, down from 9.1 percent in Q4 2013 and from 10 percent in Q1 2013 – this from data compiled by the Workforce Intelligence Network of Southeast Michigan (WIN) for their 1st quarter market report. The Q1 2014 marked the lowest 1st quarter unemployment rate in the region since Q1 2008.
Significantly, for the first time in several years, the decline in the unemployment rate was directly attributable to an increase in jobs secured, rather than a labor force decline (i.e. individuals moving out of the region or otherwise leaving the job force). Southeast Michigan employers added 15,000 new jobs in the past year.
First quarter 2014 job demand also increased significantly: up 12 percent from Q42013 and 91 percent from Q1 2013 levels, as evidenced by a marked elevation in the number of online job postings (see chart below).
“We are incredibly encouraged by the high level of employment activity in Southeast Michigan,” said Lisa Katz, WIN Executive Director. “We think this momentum will continue into 2014 with positive ramifications for the region.”
The full report can be viewed at <http://win-semich.org/data-research/quarterly-reports/>.
For Q1 2014, WIN also found the top occupational clusters to be:
• Retail & Hospitality (24,336 postings, 72 percent growth over Q12013)
• Health Care (12,835 postings, 77 percent growth over Q1 2013)
• IT (13,037 postings, 42 percent growth over Q1 2013)
• Engineers & Designers (7,560 postings, 59 percent growth over Q12013)
• Skilled Trades (3,652 postings, 53 percent growth over Q1 2013)
And the top in-demand jobs:
• Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers (5,227 postings)
• Software Developers, Applications (4,320 postings)
• Retail Salespersons (4,048 postings)
• Registered Nurses (3,514 postings)
• Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating and Still Machine Setters, Operators and Tenders (3,276 postings)
ABOUT WORKFORCE INTELLIGENCE NETWORK OF SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN
The Workforce Intelligence Network of Southeast Michigan (WIN) is a collaborative effort between eight community colleges and seven Michigan Works! Agencies, in partnership with numerous other organizations, to create a comprehensive and cohesive workforce development system in Southeast Michigan that provides employers with the talent they need for success. WIN covers a 9-county area, including Genesee, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, Shiawassee, St. Clair, Washtenaw and Wayne. WIN was founded with the support of the New Economy Initiative for Southeast Michigan and publicly launched in November 2011.