FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Don Tanner or Justin Fisette
November 13, 2013 248.626.0006
Southeast Michigan job demand soars in Q3 2013
Retail sales, nursing and software developer job postings increase,
employment and labor force growing
DETROIT – Online job postings in Q3 2013 were up 94.5 percent over Q2 2013, skyrocketing to 141,835 from 72.912, according to the Workforce Intelligence Network (WIN). The data, included in WIN’s quarterly labor market trends report, includes available positions from the nine counties in Southeast Michigan. The full report can be viewed at http://win-semich.org/data-research/quarterly-reports/.
“Employers are posting at the highest rates we’ve seen since real-time data have been available, a sign they are looking for more people and more talent,” said Lisa Katz, WIN Executive Director.
Southeast Michigan online job postings
For Q3 2013, WIN also found the following:
- The most significant job growth continues in two key occupational clusters:
- Healthcare (118 percent growth)
- Retail and Hospitality (117 percent growth)
- The region’s top 5 job postings for Q3 2013 were:
- Retail Salespersons (5,858 postings)
- Registered Nurses (4,819 postings)
- Software Developers, Applications (4,076 postings)
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products (3,875 postings)
- First-line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers (3,475 postings)
- Job postings doubled in Monroe, Oakland and Macomb counties
“Overall, continued strong demand in the form of online job postings is good news for the Southeast Michigan economy,” added Katz.
ABOUT WORKFORCE INTELLIGENCE NETWORK OF SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN
The Workforce Intelligence Network of Southeast Michigan (WIN) is a collaborative effort between eight community colleges and seven Michigan Works! Agencies, in partnership with numerous other organizations, to create a comprehensive and cohesive workforce development system in Southeast Michigan that provides employers with the talent they need for success. WIN covers a 9-county area, including Genesee, Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, Shiawassee, St. Clair, Washtenaw and Wayne. WIN was founded with the support of the New Economy Initiative for Southeast Michigan and publicly launched in November 2011.
Henry Ford Community College
Macomb Community College
Monroe County Community College
Mott Community College
Oakland Community College
St. Clair County Community College
Washtenaw Community College
Wayne County Community College District
Michigan Works! Agencies
Detroit Employment Solutions Corp.
Genesee/Shiawassee Michigan Works! Agency
Livingston County Michigan Works!
Macomb/St. Clair Michigan Works!
Oakland County Michigan Works!
Southeast Michigan Community Alliance
Washtenaw County Michigan Works!